|By Maureen O'Gara||
|December 14, 2012 11:00 AM EST||
Dell just released a technical preview of its private cloud widgetry, Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack, and while it was at said OpenStack is going to be its primary cloud platform, used for both public and private clouds.
The company intends to continue to offer overall solutions for any type of cloud that customers want to run, but it “believes the open and compatible nature of OpenStack allows customers to take advantage of hybrid capabilities to move workloads between private and public clouds.”
Yeah, that and the fact that it’ll get sweeter margins on the free OpenStack platform than if it has to pay a VMware tax.
The preview includes OpenStack, an Ubuntu Server, aKVM hypervisor Dell's own Crowbar installer. Presumably it’s running with the new Folsom release of OpenStack.
Dell expects to beta its public IaaS cloud based on OpenStack soon. That should be called simply Dell Cloud.
Dell has a VMware-based Dell Cloud Dedicated Service for managed private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service.
Dell’s public IaaS cloud built on VMware vCloud technology is available in the US, Canada, Mexico, the UK and Ireland. Dell means to expand it into Asia, South America and more regions in Europe next year.
Companies interested in participating in the technical preview of Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack may email OStechnicalpreview@dell.com for information.
Dell reported that its cloud revenue in the third quarter was up 30% year- over-year.
- Source Claims SCO Will Sue Google
- Latest SCO News is Plain Weird
- SCO Claims Linux Lifted ELF
- IBM Tells SCO Court It Can't Find AIX-on-Power Code
- HP Starts Pushing Desktop Linux
- Linux Business Week Exclusive: Linux Kernel To Be Re-Written To Counter Microsoft FUD
- CSN Asks Judge To Unseal the SCO-IBM Court Record
- IBM's Got Its Head in the Clouds
- Noorda's Daughter Committed Suicide
- SCO vs IBM Latest: SCO To Request Unsealing of Most Documents, Claims O'Gara
- IBM CEO Ordered to Turn Over Linux Secrets to SCO
- Open Letters Back to Darl
- Novell Tried to Buy SUSE, Sources Say
- SCO Threatens to Derail Novell-SUSE Deal & Sue a Fortune 1000 Linux User
- Ellison to Red Hat: 'Hide Your Wives and Daughters. We're Coming'